Last night was the kick off party for this year’s Decatur Book Festival. It’s the Fifth Anniversary of the DBF. In that short span, the little festival that could has become the fourth largest book festival in the nation (but #1 in our hearts). We’ll have much more about the fest in the coming months, but here are some of the highlights so far:
- Jonathan Franzen will be the key note speaker and will kick off his International Tour for his new book Freedom at the DBF
- My pal Todd Moye will be reading from his book Freedom Flyers. Even cooler? His mother Dorothy “Dot” Moye will be part of a Hurricane Katrina panel presenting photographs from her X Codes Project. Are they the first Mother/Son duo at the DBF? I’m going to say that’s the case until someone tells me otherwise…
- The Theatrical Outfit will be participating in several events to celebrate the opening of their stage adaptation of A Confederacy of Dunces. I will be at all of these events regardless of whatever else may be happening.
- Pulitzer-winning poet Natasha Trethewey will be presenting her new book Beyond Katrina: A Meditation on the Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Our friends at the Wren’s Nest are back this year with not one but two! writing compilations by Atlanta-area kids. Scroll down this list of activities to read about the awesomeness that is The Wren’s Nest Publishing Co. You are free to read about the other activities while you’re there.
- And…well you can check out the complete list of authors at this year’s fest (so far…) to see who the DBF has lined up.
Since you can’t wait for us to tell you all of the news, spend your morning clicking around the Decatur Book Festival’s website for more.