Things have been quiet around here due to a litany of excuses: old computer finally exhausted my patience (die!), work travel, home construction project, and back out of town for a wedding. Enjoy these links while the slacking continues:
- An 11 year old girl tries to check out a library book, adults behave badly – and weirdly: “People prayed over me while I was reading it because I did not want those images in my head…”
- The Rory Gilmore Reading Project is a blog centered around the challenge of reading all of the books mentioned by Rory Gilmore. (See how you measure up with the handy Google Docs spreadsheet)
- Please think of the children and keep them away from these excerpts of the titles nominated for the Bad Sex Award
- Back to the wholesome: 50 Best Books for Boys and Young Men
- Dave Eggers haters, The Guardian says you are so last decade. ”Eggers is now mining a vein of American oral storytelling that makes him a worthy successor to the late Studs Terkel.”
- Sarah Plain’s book doesn’t have an index. So Slate made one: ”dialogue, implausibly recreated, 2, 53, 74, 151, 161, 179, 188, 217, 235, 318, 358, 375…evolution, skeptical views of, 217, use of word “Neanderthal” despite, 30, 172″
- And now I need to see New Moon.