If you’ve missed it so far (and we’re nothing if not timely here), August is Rock Your Books Off month at the always excellent Jacket Copy blog helmed by Carolyn Kellog. My favorites so far (but check ‘em all out):
- Thomas Pynchon’s playlist
- The Sorry State of Music Criticism featuring Atlanta’s own “grandpa grumpy pants” – Henry Owings
- Daniel Handler (aka Lemony Snicket) on cerebral bliss versus dancing around in your underwear
- Robert Christgau on Leonard Cohen
- Young Adult books that rock – is King Dork on the list? Yes, it is.
- David Sedaris is Aretha Franklin
- Iceland’s Bragi Ólafsson, former Sugar Cubes bassist, turns to literature with a new novel The Pets
- Rock and literature meet at the Guggenheim (next month features BGB fav Rivka Galchen with that dude from Interpol!)
- Teaching the rock and roll novel
I hate to quibble, but I’ll go ahead and question the choice of August as Rock Your Books Off month, what with Zeptember, Rocktober, and the little known Aldo Nova-mber right around the corner.