Last week’s Solar Anus Reading Series (a Georges Bataille reference it turns out) was very cool. Colin Kelley followed some poems with a nice reading from his new novel, Conquering Venus. Chicago author Ben Tanzer read some short pieces that will appear in an upcoming collection. His “quasi-nonfictional” story about Ira Glass was hilarious. The host, author Jamie Iredell, says the series runs monthly-ish, so be sure to check it out sometime.
After the reading and over a couple beers, Ben Tanzer interviewed me for a podcast that he’s posted over at This Blog Will Change Your Life. I’ve never been on the receiving end of interview questions before, so you’ll hear some mumbling, long pauses, and the occasional “uh…” on my end of the conversation. I’ve helpfully annotated our discussion with some handy links.
You’ll need to go here to listen.
Helpful links for some of the items discussed:
- Manuel’s Tavern
- the Poncey-Highland neighborhood
- Radiant Days by Michael Fitzgerald
- Dave Eggers
- Zeitoun and
- A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
- The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall
- The Secret History by Donna Tartt
- A Prayer for Owen Meany and
- The Cider House Rules by John Irving
- Black Flies by Shannon Burke
- Safelight by Shannon Burke
- R.E.M. vs U2 (I’m right. For the record.)
- Ira Glass
Many thanks to the always happening Ben Tanzer for the fine excuse to be out and about on a school night.