The nominees for the titular award (2008) have been announced. Winners will be announced Nov. 19th.
- The Lazarus Project by Aleksandar Hemon
- Telex from Cuba by Rachel Kushner
- Shadow Country by Peter Matthiessen
- Home by Marilynne Robinson
- The End by Salvatore Scibona
- The Dark Side: The Inside Story of How the War on Terror Turned into a War on American Ideals by Jane Meyer
- This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War by Drew Gilpin Faust
- The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family by Annette Gordon Reed
- Final Salute: A Story of Unfinished Lives by Jim Sheeler
- The Suicide Index: Putting My Father’s Death in Order by Joan Wickersham
Omnivoracious has a complete list (including Poetry and Young People’s Literature) of the nominees and their current Amazon sale rank. The Big surprise in fiction seems to be The End. I may need to check out The Lazarus Project though, based solely on this snippet of the Amazon review: “the novel will remind readers of many great books before it–Ragtime, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, Everything Is Illuminated…”
I’ve also been told that The Dark Side is very good by a trusted source.