The Decatur Book Festival is right around the corner. I did not know this, but apparently our book fest in in the US top ten in terms of the number of authors appearing and in attendance. Cool.
Author appearance highlights:
- Karen Abbott – Sin in the Second City
- John Bemelmans Marciano – author of the first new Madeline book in 50 years (grandson of the original author)
- Douglas Blackmon – Slavery by Another Name
- Roy Blount, Jr.
- Rick Bragg – The Prince of Frogtown
- Robert Olen Butler – Intercourse (bonus: opportunity to ask about that e-mail)
- Doug Crandell – The Flawless Skin of Ugly People and Hairdos of the Mildly Depressed
- Doreen Cronin – Click, Clack, Moo: Cows that Type
- Hollis Gillespie – Bleachy Haired Honky Bitch
- Rheta Grimsley Johnson – Poor Man’s Provence: Finding Myself in Cajun Louisiana (Wait?! Poor man’s who in the what now?)
- Jed Horne – New Orleans journalist and author
- Jennifer 8 Lee – The Fortune Cookie Chronicles
- ZZ Packer – One of Granta’s Top Young American Novelists
- Jack Pendarvis – Awesome
- Andy Runton – Owly books (!)
- Laurel Snyder – poet, children’s author, and a local
- Natasha Trethewey – Pulitzer-winning poet
Those are some of the names that jumped out at me on first glance. See the complete list to find your must-see authors. We’ll have more to come as we get closer.