This list includes the top 10 favorites of the books that I have actually read this year (that were released in or around 2007). I won’t presume that these are the definitive best books of 2007, because that’s just ridiculous. You can check out the universe of titles that were in contention on my Shelfari shelf, which at this point includes almost all of the books that I’ve read in 2007. There are one or two that I just can’t get up on that virtual shelf for some reason. It is making me a little crazy.
In no particular order (links go to my reviews):
- The Yiddish Policemen’s Union by Michael Chabon
- Consumption by Kevin Patterson
- What is the What by Dave Eggers
- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz
- An Arsonist’s Guide to Writers’ Homes in New England by Brock Clarke
- Jamestown by Matthew Sharpe
- The Ministry of Special Cases by Nathan Englander
- Lost City Radio by Daniel Alarcón
- Dead Boys by Richard Lange
- The World Without Us by Alan Weisman
- Bonus 11th Book: Let the Northen Lights Erase Your Name by Vendela Vida
See my 10 favorites in all of their graphical glory here.
Platinum Level Special Commendation Honorees Of Merit: There are two books that were very special to me this year that may not be to you, unless you happen share my background/experience:
- James Lee Burke’s Tin Roof Blow Down – The book may have the worst cover of the year, but it is the definitive post-Katrina novel of New Orleans and south Louisiana. Amazing.
- Ken Well’s Crawfish Mountain. A friend of mine is reading the book now, and she said, “Wow. This book is like a love letter to you.” Yes, it is.
Biggest Disappointment: The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño (It is on just about everyone’s “best of” list this year. (Stay tuned later in the week for my review wherein I’ll explain why I am taking the role of the Russian Judge on this one.)
Top 5 books that I’m adding to my reading list based on reading other year-end lists:
- Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson
- Like You’d Understand, Anway by Jim Shepard
- Zeroville by Steve Ericson
- Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson
- Remainder by Tom McCarthy
Next week I’ll throw up my year-end music picks.