I had hoped to make “our favorite book stores” a regular feature here at BGB, but these things sometimes go by the wayside. Of course, you can always bring a good idea back. There’s nothing like spending way too much time in a great book store. So I’d like to revive this feature with one of my favorite rural book stores, The Bookshelf in Thomasville, Georgia (I’d link to their web site, but they don’t have one – at least not one that is easily Google-able – same thing).
The sign next to their door says, “Georgia’s Best Small Bookshop – Georgia Journal, 1997.” So they’ve been around at least that long. I stumbled across the store on one of our trips to visit friends in Coon Bottom, Florida, which is just across the state line. (The only evidence online that I can find to document that Coon Bottom is an actual place is that they have a Volunteer Fire Department).
The Bookshelf is a small shop, but I have always found something in their carefully chosen selection that I didn’t know that I needed to have. It’s uncanny. You can get a cup of coffee while you browse, and usually someone has baked fresh brownies or cookies for sale, too. It’s a great stop. The traditional southern main street in Thomasville has really come along in the last five years or so as well. If you find yourself near Thomasville, stop for The Bookshelf and take a walk around town when your done browsing.
Other posts in the “we love” series (none of these has their own web site, apparently – what year is it?):
- Sundog Books in Seaside, FL
- Little Shop of Stories in Decatur, GA
- Beaucoup Books in New Orleans, LA (mentioned in passing)
Stores that would have their own post if I had either a blog or a camera during my visit:
- City Lights in San Francisco, CA
- The Tattered Cover in Denver, CO (LoDo)
- Book and Books – Miami Beach, FL (my local for 5 years)
- Maple Street Book Shop and Children’s Book Shop – New Orleans, LA (motto: Fight the Stupids)
Stores that will certainly get their own posts once I’ve made the pilgrimage:
- Powell’s in Portland, OR
- The Strand (18 Miles of Books) – NYC
- Square Books – Oxford, MS
- The Brown Recluse – Marfa, TX (no web site)
Pass along your favorite must visit book stores in the comments. And I’m not talkin’ ’bout no fool corporate book stores.